Sunday, January 12, 2014

iCan Use The Popplet App

 
Our first week back to school and we learned how to use our first new 2014 app... Popplet! 
We used Popplet to create a graphic organizer to write our New Years Resolutions!  I was inspired by an idea I had found on Pinterest and wanted to add a "techie twist" to it.  The result was a fun learning activity and some GREAT New Year's Resoultion Lift Flaps!

Here is how we made it happen:
First we started with a story and discussion about resolutions.  Understanding the vocabulary and what it means is essential.  Next, we  practiced using the "Popplet Tools."   This was a quick lesson since the kids already knew how to upload photos and such.  Once they learned how to make 'Popples", delete "Popples," and manipulate "Popples" we were ready to go!  It was amazing to see how quickly they were able to learn the app!  We began by creating our title and starting with the first "Popple."  

Uploading a picture of themselves with their Happy New Year Topic.   
 
  

 After that we began to organize our thinking.   Our first "Popple" was two goals for the new year (since 2014 begins with a two).  Then we created our next Popple with something we wanted to stop doing this year (hence the 0 in 2014).  Our next Popple was one new thing we wanted to try this year (the 1 in 2914) and finally we added four Popples for things we wanted to learn in 2014 (an there is the 4 in 2014). 
Here is a work in progress!






 The kids loved adding pictures, colors, and font to their Popplet.  They love having the choice to how it should look.   This was the "techie twist" to the Pinterest idea.   The next day we created our lift flaps "Old School Style" as the kids called it.  They decorated their numbers and glued them to the front, and then wrote their information (from their Popplet) on the  3 X 5 note cards to glue under their numbers.  It was a GREAT way for kids to learn how creating a graphic organizer can keep their writing focused and on topic.   
      Here are some examples of our completed projects.  The kids did a fantastic job!! 

Here area all lift flaps open!
Under the #4 this is what you would find!
          
Here are some finished examples!




  iCan see a year of fun learning with the iPads!

3 comments:

  1. Of course you would take an idea from Pinterest and "app"-i-fy it! :-) Way to GO! What an excellent way combine, literacy, organization, creativity, and writing into an engaging activity that is WOW (worthy of the web)! I love the way you used colors and images in the Popples. What a great way to use it as a graphic organizer and from that outline create their 2014 resolutions! It is "M" -azing! :-) Can't wait to see you guys Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Thank you for your 2nd grade iPad blog! You have inspired me! I can't wait to see what's coming. Do you have the popplet lite or full version? The popplet will fit the bill for an enrichment activity for me higher level students and let them express themselves. Also, what do you use for the student blogs? Is it your site or something else? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you enjoy reading my blog. I am new to blogging so its nice to see that what I am sharing out is helpful to others. I love to collaborate and this is such a great way to do it. I use KidBlog with my students when they blog, but I do this blog using Blogger. It's a great way to start and not hard at all. I use the regular Popplet app, I am not sure about what Popplet lite can do in comparison. I will say I love using Popplet with the kids and its so kid friendly!! I love that there are so many things you can do with it! Are you a person who likes twitter or pinterest? I have found lots of great ideas in both places and love the sharing that happens.

    ReplyDelete