Monday, February 17, 2014

iCanTeach Fascinating Fractions On The iPad



Fractions on the iPad, yep it is possible!  I began by creating an iTunes U course called "Fascinating Fractions" which is also the name of my math Pinterest board.  In this course  I included Youtube videos, stories about fractions, songs about fractions, and learning opportunities and activities about fractions that will build upon their understandings.  The kids LOVED learning this way!  We uploaded practice opportunities into the Notability app and students were able to work together to figure out problems and then email their work to me.  One of the student's favorite activities was figuring out what fractions of m&m colors they had in their individual bags.  Included below are two pictures of the activity.  My buddy Kyla let me take her picture while she figured out the "whole"and the "parts" of that whole. 


Below is the PDF that we recorded our fractions on.  This was one of the activities that I included in my Itunes U course!  I  can't take credit for  the idea, this is one of those "M"-azing ideas that I found on Pinterest and added to my "Fascinating Fractions Board".   Lots of great thinking and problem solving were generated through this activity.  It was taking what we learned and applying it in addition to explaining the understandings  to someone else.  THE KIDS LOVED IT!!  Math they can eat!  How could you go wrong?!


I love to create courses in iTunes U and the best part is they can have things added or omitted as you see fit.  Notability is a great way for students to upload their work and share what they are learning!!  This was an "M"-azing Unit!! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, My name is Anita Goodwin and I am a Second Grade teacher at South Adams Elementary. I always love finding new tech blogs to follow. I loved looking through your blog and posts. I found your blog though a tweet on Twitter and love this fractions idea. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your Fascinating Fractions itunes U course. I searched it and could not find it. I would love to learn more about how to use itunes u courses in my classroom. We are 1:1 ipads this year and I absolutely love it. I am always looking for new ideas to try. We will be studying fractions soon. Would love to hear from you. ilive2learnilove2grow 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the post! The iTunes U course I created is not actually out on iTunes. right now. It is housed by my school district on iTunes somewhere. I am not the one who can authorize it going out to iTunes, but I can sure check with the people that make those decisions since you are interested! Why reinvent the wheel right?! I love creating courses! I have several that I created this year and the students have loved them! No more worksheets!! I like the iTunes U courses because we can house so many different things about a topic in one place. I think of it as a huge file cabinet for all of my resources. Today I was collaborating with another second grade teacher and we were working on creating a States of Matter course together. We both work in the same district so it was just a matter of sharing the code for the class and we shared as co-authors. I will check to see how to share work out as I don't know how to do it yet but I will find out!

      Delete