Sunday, March 23, 2014

This One Time...At EdCamp...

This one time...at Edcamp...

     I met the most amazing group of individuals with a passion for education that is nothing like I have experienced before...kind of like "dogs and cats living together in mass hysteria!"  Since it was my first time attending, I felt completely overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge and expertise that was in the room.  I spent the entire time absorbing as much as my mind and iPad would allow me to take in.  I felt like I had the GOLDEN TICKET to a day of inspiration and collaboration with innovative, creative, and passionate people who all meet for the purpose of sharing and learning with one another.  

      As I moved from one session to another I just kept thinking that this kind of professional development needs to be the model that districts should aspire to provide!   The "speed dating" style of sharing was the perfect way to start the day!  I was able to meet so many people with fantastic ideas in a short amount of time, and I loved seeing the faces of those who I had been "tweeting" with or those I have been following in edchats.  It was surprising to see how quickly and easily conversations developed and the laughter and positive vibe that filled the room was energizing!  Each session that I attended was driven by the participants and evolved through great conversations and powerful thought provoking questions.  I even had the opportunity to check out and try on some Google Glassess which were AMAZING!!  Thanks to Stacy Behmer for allowing me to try them out!  
 Now I COMPLETELY understood how and why participants came from all over to take part in such a great experience.  I have decided to make it my goal to road trip to another edcamp, for another fun learning adventure! 

     What happens at Edcamp doesn't stay at Edcamp ...thank goodness!  I can't wait to share what I have learned with my students and colleagues!  Time to follow the yellow brick road of optimism, enthusiasm, and innovation.   It's going to be a fun journey!  Thanks to all the people who made it happen!

 


11 comments:

  1. Awesome post Michelle! I am so glad that you got to come and that you enjoyed it and got to see all the things that I have seen from attending an edcamp!
    Road trips to them are even more fun in my opinion because then the car ride and its conversations are usually fantastic as well!
    Can't wait to visit with you more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CAT!!! I am so glad I was able to participate this weekend!! It was an
      "M"-azing experience!!

      Delete
  2. It was FANTASTIC meeting the entire Bellevue iPad Academy at edcampOMAHA! My favorite line in your blog "Time to follow the yellow brick road of optimism, enthusiasm, and innovation." Very COOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed meeting with you as well! It was invigorating to meet with such wonderful people!! I can't wait until the next one!!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Michelle! I am so glad you were my #edcamp road trip buddy Saturday! I loved the conversation to and from edcamp too! By the way, I love your Google Glass look! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your feedback. If you don't mind, I'd like to include a link to this on an email I'm working on to send out next February to my staff. That email will be offered up to other districts as well as a way to get more people to attend. Thank you for your thoughts and sharing your time with all of us on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELLO!! Happy Monday!! You are more than welcome to use the link! I can't wait for the next opportunity!

      Delete
  5. Hi Michelle, Great post! I was hoping to catch up with you and reminisce old times in Bellevue. Not sure if you remember me from "back in the day" or not, but Bellevue still holds a special place in my heart. I look forward to following your blog and also you on Twitter.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember!! I was also hoping to catch up as well. The day went so fast! Where are you teaching now? What grade level are you working with? It's great to reconnect!!

      Delete
  6. Hey Michelle, Awesome reflection on the day! It was a great day of learning and sharing. It is a PD model where we get to learn from each other and celebrate what is going on. What I like is we hear what is being done right now out there and learn from our peers in a very informal way.
    It was so nice getting to meet with your team of teachers and hear about the wonderful opportunities your students are getting. You can tell your energy is contagious. Keep up the good work and I may be tapping you guys now as part of my PLN to get some ideas for our teachers. You look awesome in #googleglass too! I will have them at #NETA, so let's connect again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am soooo hoping I get to go to #NETA! Unfortunatley I don't think our building budget is going to allow it....DARN!! I have never been but would LOVE to go!! Call me JEALOUS!! I know that Brent, Ann, and Jenny will bring back great ideas to share with me! I will be out there in Twitter land as well!! Thanks again for sharing the glasses!! I am not one who like to post pics of myself...but that was too fun to pass up!!
      Happy Monday!

      Delete