Wednesday, April 9, 2014

iCan Use Raz Kids On The iPad For Running Records

     Yes!  You read the title of the blog right!  I have been RAZZLE DAZZLED by the Raz- Kids app and the  capabilities of the running records and benchmark assessments done COMPLETELY on the iPAD!  From recording to the running record it can all be done within the app!!  LOVE IT!!  

  I assign a running record to each student in my class and once finished the students' recordings are sent to my "In Basket" where I can access them anywhere at anytime!    I choose to listen to their recordings at home in a quiet environment and make the necessary notations about their reading on the running record scoring sheet.  I am able to listen to each recording as many times as I need to in order to mark errors accurately.  

Notice the "scorecard" on the right hand side has all the information about the student's reading.  You can easily mark errors utilizing their great and very simple format!  All recordings and benchmark assessments are saved under the child's name.   It's a wonderful way to share accuracy and fluency growth with the child and their family!  Not to mention you do not have a paper trail to contend with!!  It is all located in the teacher portion of the RAZ-KIDS APP! 

By utilizing this app I have saved valuable instructional time. The data that I collect daily is used to help drive my instruction for each student.  I can easily identify their independent comprehension strengths as well as their weaknesses. Here is a sample of a report I am able to collect daily on each child's individual independent reading abilities. You can see which skills he has encountered and where his strengths are and where he needs support.
Here is a report that shares their reading level progress.  This one is from the past 90 days.  Again, what a great way to share information with the student and parents!

 From the data I am able to collect at the touch of a button I can create my strategy groups and my RTI intervention needs!! 
 RAZ-KIDS definitely is a gold mine when it come to data collection!! It is well worth your time and effort to get to know this app and use it with your students!  
You too may be RAZZLE - DAZZLED!!!

7 comments:

  1. I have this app and my kids use it...but i had NO idea u cud do running records on them. Im intrigued to find out where and how etc. Which guru would be able to help me on this? U had me at "no paper trail"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy to help out! It is really slick!!! Let me know when and where and I would be happy to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I'm continually amazed by what is happening in your classroom. I know we've talked about the data collection capabilities of Raz-Kids and I'm so happy to see that you are using all of the avenues this app/program offers you. I too would like to sit in with you and Emily. This is a great post that has motivated me to become even more familiar with Raz-Kids so I can make it start working for me like you do. Thank you for sharing this. You have wonderful things happening in your classroom. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Never knew you could. Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,
    Sounds like exciting possibilities! I was wondering, do you use the Raz Kids levels or the approximate Fountas and Pinnell Levels to assign readings to your students? I noticed the two systems diverge quite a bit in levels around Level K?

    http://www.raz-kids.com/main/ViewPage/name/help_chart/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Michelle. Thanks for taking the time to show me running records and all the data at your fingertips! Very impressive! Thanks for taking the time to learn the ins and outs of the app, write this post, and share it out. Keep doing "M" - azing things!!

    ReplyDelete